Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ahi Poke

When we went to Safeway yesterday I bought my first tasting of Poke, which is VERY popular in Hawaii.
From Wikipedia - Poke (English pronunciation: /poʊˈkeɪ/) is a raw fish salad served as an appetizer, main course in Hawaiian cuisine. Poke is Hawaiian for "section" or "to slice or cut".
At Safeway they have at least 15 variations of Poke - I chose the Spicy Ahi Poke - Ahi is Tuna. The picture was taken on my blackberry, so it isn't the greatest, I swear it doesn't look like throw up!

It is cubes of fresh Ahi, mixed together with a spicy sauce. It is pretty good and very spicy! Poke only lasts for about a day after it is purchased because like sushi, it is raw! Another Hawaii First! Brian, I think you would LOVE it.



Here is a picture that I found on Google, served at many Hawaiian restaurants:


They even had an Octopus Poke - with little Octopus in it! I won't be adventurous enough to try that!

Here is a recipe for Poke that I found on Safeway's website for basic Ahi Poke.


____________________________________________________





We will both be walking in the Juvenile Diabetes Walk for the Cure on November. 14, 2009. Please help us both reach our goals of $300 each and support our team Hawaii Terps! Mahalo!

No comments:

Post a Comment